Monday, October 25, 2010

Shine Through - Aloe Blacc


Shine Through by Aloe Blacc (2006)

When this album came out, I assumed it was just a solo from the emcee from the LA underground hip hop group Emanon.  Imagine my surprise when I put it on only to encounter Aloe singing (some of it in Spanish), multi-cultural polyphonic rhythms & practically NO rapping. The one song he does rhyme on, "Caged Birdsong," features a girl singing on the hook & is one of the weaker tracks on the album.

Vocally, he reminds me of Anthony Hamilton, tho his voice is not as strong.  Lyrically, he's not as well developed and his phrasing isn't as nice.  

He covers John Legend's "Ordinary People" in Spanish.  He also covers Sam Cooks "Long Time Coming" but with a hip-hop inflected, bass-heavy beat and a dreamlike string loop.  Not my favorite version of an amazing song.

I'm a fan of Aloe's rapping on previous efforts (like with his group, Emanon) much more than his singing, but this album has some nice selections for the summer.

Favorite: "Patria Mia" "Busking"

Least Favorite: "Want Me"

No comments:

Post a Comment