Thursday, October 7, 2010

Doo-Wops & Hoodlums - Bruno Mars


Doo-Wops & Hoodlums - Bruno Mars (2010)

This album...ugh! so sappy. I don't know exactly why, but this album infuriates me. It's so squeaky clean with its crystal clear vocals and bright melodies.

Not totally sure why I thought I should even listen to this album.  I had heard a few of his songs..."Billionaire" being the obvious one, invasive as it is.  Clearly I'm not his target audience...pretty sure that's teen and tween girls.. I guess what aggravates me is precisely that: this is what's being produced and marketed to tweens and teens right now.  With so many talented and genuine artists making music out there, that this is what someone deemed worth of attention just blows my mind.
Not that it's bad, per se, it just lacks soul, and I don't mean that he needs more bass in his voice or anything like that.  It's a spirit thing and this record just ain't got it.  The producers even tried to manufacture some soul credibility by adding a few guest appearances by Damian Marley, B.o.B. and Cee Lo Green (the latter being the highlight of the album). But even that did little to hide the fact that this is a mass marketed product plain and simple.

Favorite (if you can call it that): "The Other Side" (ft. Cee Lo Green and B.o.B.)

No comments:

Post a Comment