Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Of Cities - DJ Signify




Of Cities - DJ Signify (2009)

Signify gave me a copy of his latest album at his show with Blockhead the other week. I've listened to it quite a bit since then, but wasn't quite sure what to say about it. He told me it was his favorite thing he's done thus far. I asked him how long he spent making it, because I thought he'd been close to finishing an album the last time I saw him, 2 years ago! He told me that he had lost the whole thing in a ProTools failure and had to start over from scratch. I can only imagine the frustration that comes with that.

Apparently, this one's been out since January on the incomparable Bully Records. Shows just how out of the loop I've become in the past few years.

I do enjoy this album. It's delicately layered but still hard-hitting. The only vocal appearances are provided by Aesop Rock (on "Low Tide" and "Sink Or Swim"). They provide a nice contrast to the otherwise totally instrumental album.

Favorite: "1993" "Costume Kids"

No comments:

Post a Comment